Build on Your Passion: Join the MLC Board of Directors
We are searching for energetic members who want to help shape the future of the MLC. If you are looking for more industry/MLC involvement, or hope to network and/or grow in our field, we hope you will apply.
As a Board Member, you can help us in our mission to provide education and collaboration. We welcome your leadership and ideas in order to further our vision of creating a world where education inspires a life-long passion for discovery.
Nominations are now closed. Contact email@example.com with questions.
The Board of Directors are elected by MLC membership. Each member organization has one vote.
Requirements for serving on the Board of Directors:
• Be in good standing of MLC;
• Attend the Annual Conference in person during their term;
• Be willing to commit to participating in a minimum of 4-5 two-hour meetings or
conference calls annually, and additional ad-hoc meetings or calls as needed;
• Participation in board meetings can be in-person or via video or phone conference (except for the in-person meeting at the annual conference, see below);
• Commit to actively working on a minimum of one sub-committee throughout their
term to further MLC strategic goals;
• Attend in-person board meetings held in conjunction with Annual Conference
• Director candidates must have a minimum of three years of experience in science
education and outreach, or equivalent, and play an active role in the member organization;
• Each Director shall serve for a two-year term.
Role and Responsibilities of Board of Directors (BODs):
• Provides strategic direction for the MLC including identifying objectives and goals, new
initiatives, and long-term planning;
• Participates in implementing objectives, goals, new initiatives identified by the BODs;
• Provides updates at each Board meeting about activities undertaken in pursuit of MLC
• Work with Chair and Financial Director to manage MLC and conference
• Commit to actively working on a minimum of one sub-committee
throughout their term to further MLC strategic goals;
• Annually submit a Conflict of Interest form;
• Have ultimate fiduciary responsibility for MLC and conference finances.
Call for Nominations
• Call for nominations sent out
• Candidates self-nominate or are nominated with permission by other MLC members;
• Nomination period closes two weeks after the official call for nominations goes out to
our members; Note: Extended to October 30, 2023
Election Committee Review and Recommendations
• The current MLC Board then creates an Election Committee. Board members running for reelection are disqualified from serving on the MLC Election Committee;
• The Election Committee is tasked with reviewing all nominations and vetting that each
nominee is qualified for a Board position, as determined by the bylaws;
• The Election Committee also determines how many seats are open during that year’s
election. The MLC anticipates 3-4 seats; currently at 7, max can be 11;
• The Election Committee sends its recommendations to the whole Board of Directors;
• Current Directors vote on these recommendations;
• Recommended candidates are then asked to submit a Position Statement within one
week of their approval;
• The Election Committee then sends nominee names and position papers out to the entire
membership list by email;
• Each member organization gets one vote;
• Voting is open for two weeks;
• Election Committee tallies the votes, ensures election integrity, and announces results to
entire membership list;
• In order to be elected, each nominee must get a “yes” vote from at least half of the
members who voted;
• Once voting is complete, nominees and membership base are notified of the outcome.
If you have questions or concerns, do not hesitate to reach out to any of the current MLC Board members or by emailing our general inbox at firstname.lastname@example.org.